Wednesday, August 19, 2009

After The Fall

So a few weeks before my church's kid's camp, I was asked if I would be interested in being a counselor. They needed one more female lead counselor and she really thought I'd really enjoy it. At first, I said "no" - that I didn't have the money to go (& I really didn't think I would enjoy it - dirt, bugs, sweat, etc...) After much thought and prayer, I felt led to tell her that I would in fact like to go to camp. And so I was a camper. A counselor.
My group's color was GREEN. OK. You can do a lot with that. Esp since e'one wants to save the world and GO GREEN these days.
So I set out on a mission to find all the cutest (and inexpensive, since I was buying for 10) GREEN stuff for my campers, jr. counselors and myself... as a little "welcome" present and stuff to help our team name - the GREEN QUEENS.
Camp was great! I had the best group of girls possible. We did all the usual "camp" stuff... I guess. Because of my awesome, sneaky Jr. Counselors, we were able to prank a good many of the cabins :-) So we weren't the most favored of the campers, but we were on top. :-)

The camp was nice. It had many activities - canoeing, paddle boating, fishing, archery, swimming, mudpit, and lots of games. The one thing it didn't have was air conditioning.





Pastor Willie did all the cooking for us and it was WONDERFUL!!! I had some of the best salsa & guacamole I've ever had!

Every night we'd meet in the main hall for praise & worship and Josh or Mark would give a wonderful sermon.

So now to the story. It rained a good bit before we went and while we were there. So everything was wet. Including the wooden bridge that we had to walk on to go over the creek to get to the main hall. I told my girls everytime we went over it, to walk, NOT RUN, b/c it was slippery - the pieces of 'traction' were barely there and when it was wet, it was very slippery.
Well, Tuesday afternoon it started raining, so everyone left the activity they were doing to come to the main hall for Plan B. Since I had gotten wet, I started to get a little cold. So I left my girls with my Jr. Counselors to go back to the cabin to get a sweatshirt. On my way back, in the rain, I was walking over the very slippery bridge, when my feet came completely out from under me and I landed on my back, hitting my head pretty hard on the wood. Being a baby, I laid there, in the rain, hoping s'one would find me, but e'one was in the Main Hall - keeping the kids busy. I kept back the tears and forced myself up and hobbled into the main hall. Once inside, some of the ladies noticed I wasn't quite right and helped me sit down on the bench and helped me get cleaned up and gave me some advil. They asked me many times if I wanted to go to the hospital, but seeing how my luck of injuring myself had increased exponentially since I moved up here, I just figured this was the same and I'd just have to deal with it. As the day wore on, I really didn't feel much better, but other than the pain of the fall, was OK. It was later that night, while laying in bed - texting :-) - I noticed that my vision was blurred. I had to hold my phone a lot closer and really focus to be able to read the emails/texts. I kinda put it off... hoping it wasn't a symtom of falling (all I could think about was Natasha Richardson.) I finally fell asleep... praying I'd wake up the next morning.
I woke up feeling sick as a dog. Nausea. Nausea. Nausea. Again, a little concerned, but since I had made it thru the night, I figured I might survive :-).
Thankfully Kari and Brooks had been coming up to help/visit every day, so I was able to get her to bring me some muscle relaxers from home b/c I knew I wouldn't be able to move. And since we were going home that day, I kept telling myself if I could make it to my bed, I'd be OK.
I made it through the group pics and packing up/cleaning up the cabin - but that was about it. After getting sick at camp, I called Kari to come get me. We went straight to the ER, where I got sick, yet again.
I got back into the ER rather quickly, but it took forever for them to get a doctor to ok some meds - the nausea was getting worse and the pain was increasing by the minute. Finally. Phenergan & Diloted. And the world was right again. I was feeling no pain, in fact, I wasn't feeling much of anything. They ran a catscan of my head and couldn't find anything, but b/c of my pain and symptoms decided TO ADMIT ME!! (This was my first time ever being admitted. Granted, I'd spent plent of time IN a hospital, just never been the one with the bracelet.)
They ended up keeping me for 2 nights. I had 2 head catscans. A catscan of my back. And an MRI of my head. This was all a very big deal for me, considering I've never broken a bone or had stitches.
Diagnosis: concussion. Plan: pain management.
After a few days being home, on meds 24 hrs a day - I started feeling better.
And after about 2 weeks was feeling back to normal.
It's amazing how the body heals itself. I can remember how badly it hurt to move. How I had to have help lifting my head and sitting up. And now I do it with ease, without even thinking about it.
It has really made me realize how lucky I am to be healthy... even though I have become quite the magnet for accidents lately. But I can't imagine waking up like that every day. And I think of all the people I've known that have gone thru things like that...
Through this experience I have learned many things - that I CAN enjoy life w/o the internet and talking on the phone... even go so far as to say I enjoyed "Going to Camp", sweat, bugs, dirt and all! I absoluely loved getting to spend time with and teaching the kids. And I hope to be able to start working with them at church very soon. And last but not least, everyday the sun comes up and I can see it and enjoy it without pain, will be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment